Essential Question: How can you become a better citizen?
- A good citizen respects and protects the rights and property of others and takes part in actions that can improve the school and community.
- Characteristics of a good citizen include honesty, compassion, respect, responsibility, courage, reliable, hard-working, and determined.
- Citizenship is being a member of a community and taking on fulls rights and responsibilities to improve their community.
- People contribute to their community by practicing the responsibilities of a good citizen and lending a helping hand in many different ways.
- Responsibilities of a good citizen include taking part in the voting process, demonstrating self-discipline and self-reliance, practicing honesty and trustworthiness, and describing actions that can improve the school and community.
Carbon Footprint Climate Action Plan Challenge
The Cool School Challenge is an educational program intended to engage students and teachers in practical strategies to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions schoolwide. Through improved energy efficiency, reduced consumption, increased recycling and changes in transportation behaviors, Challenge participants will learn how simple actions, taken together, can create a climate of change. Upon completing the challenge schools will be eligible to apply for a bronze level award through the Eco-Schools program
Goals of the Eco Challenge
- Educate young people about climate change and everyday actions they can take to reduce their impact locally and globally;
- Reduce carbon dioxide emissions and other greenhouse gas emissions in and around schools;
- Encourage student leadership and empowerment;
- Foster a community of teachers and students working together to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions; and
- Foster a new generation of environmental advocates.
THE STORY OF STUFF SERIES